Manitowoc Grey Iron Foundry has a long history that dates back to pre-Civil War days. The original foundry was started by Jonah Richards around 1853. The foundry produced parts for the numerous ships built during the early years of Manitowoc's history. When Jonah died at the young age of 53 in 1881, his son, Henry took over the business.
It did very well through the years especially during WWI. When Henry died suddenly in 1924, the company went into receivership. For the next 18 years, the buildings passed into various hands. In 1942, Robert Fox leased the foundry and opened it under the name of Dunrite Industries. Again it did well during the war years.
In 1946 when WWII ended, he asked his nephew, John B. Peaslee to join him in the business. After only about a year, John bought out the company from his uncle and renamed it Manitowoc Grey Iron. In 1952, MGIF was moved from its downtown site to its present location today at 2701 Division St., Manitowoc, WI. After graduating from college, his two sons, Robert and Jay joined him in the business. Later his daughter, Alison came on board.
Over the years, the foundry continued to grow through expansions and equipment changes. The original foundry used a cupola and coke to melt iron. In 1974, channel furnaces were installed. These were replaced in 1998 by coreless
The foundry today makes both gray, ductile, ADI, silicon moly and compacted graphite iron castings and serves
customers through the Midwest. It continues to be a family owned and operated company and employs about 80 people.
For more information, send us a request on our Contact Us page, or call (920) 482-3620.